monitoring session on 17 June

17 06 2007

So after yesterday’s episode (all the lateness…) we all managed to reach Labrador Park on time. Or as much on time as possible, given the heavy, heavy downpour around central Singapore. We nearly hoped that today’s session would be cancelled, we weren’t trying to slack, but the rain was really very heavy. But Mr Lim dashed all our hopes by saying that if we didn’t do it today, it would be hard for us to find another day with as low a tide as today’s.
However, at 10 minutes past 7, the gate was still not open, so we had to climb over the railing and “crab walk” along the ledge to get to the ramp. We also packed our ponchos in preparation for an expedition tomorrow and thus, had to carry umbrellas. Which we couldn’t while climbing over the rail and thus, got thoroughly wet.
After we managed to get into the beach safely, we placed our bags under the bridge and prepared to get even more wet! As I was the one who was going to measure the seagrass, I had the honour of wearing a poncho of Ms Siti’s, while the rest had to carry around their umbrellas. However, i ended up even more wet than the rest…
As we had left our all-important file and clipboard locked up in school, Siling had to print out new copies of the data sheet. These data sheets were not waterproof, unlike the ones which were given to us. Thus, we were slightly worried that our data would get smudged. However, we tried to work as quickly as possible.
The tide was already rising when we started at 7.22 am, so we quickly improvised. Initially, Sihui and I would measure and do the quadrat-reading, with Siling being the sole recorder. However, Ms Siti realised it was too slow, and thus, we split up into two teams – with Ms Siti measuring and Sihui recording, and I measuring and Siling recording.
Siling and I quickly recorded, and saw some interesting things such as Soft Corals which have been uprooted and another species of Soft Corals. However, due to the rain, we didn’t manage to catch sight of any crabs. We managed to cover 33 quadrats between us and Ms Siti and Sihui, while Mr Lim took the GPS coordinate readings of around the Thalassia hemprichii patch and the Halophila ovalis patch. We managed to do everything by 8.04 am. By that time, the rain was already lessening. We quickly washed up and while Ms Siti and Mr Lim went off, the three of us waited for Sihui and Siling’s parents to pick us up and go for breakfast(:

We checked on our little patch of Thalassiawith-holes-in-the-sheath and it’s still safe and sound! Hopefully it would remain this way till Ms Siti goes to collect the samples 😀




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: